Thursday, February 20, 2014

UNITED BY SMOKE DIVIDED BY DISTANCE(The posh house party at upper Nairobi West)


 
UNITED BY SMOKE DIVIDED BY DISTANCE

Annabel came to pick me for the Saturday evening house party hosted at the posh area at upper west Nairobi as per our telephone conversation earlier in the day. She wore black leggings and a black pleasant dress that left everything to the imagination. She stands at 5'5" and has a voluptuous figure that pour into a nice hourglass. Her long fingers terminated in painted, polished rich mauve nails. She looked very astounding. I picked my hue purse and followed her to the parking and embarked on a quest to uncover the secret of the private house party held at a posh surroundings in upper west Nairobi.

While driving,she was enticing me with alluring description of how the house party might be and the handsome single guys who will be present. Annabel likes teasing me regarding men as she wonders why a beautiful lady like me is still single. I normally try to defend myself on how am building my career first but she never buys any of my theories.
“Am single by choice but I go out on dates,the many dates you impose me to attend without failure or else reparations might follow,”I told her in a strident tone.
“Calm down sweets”Annabel said softly,” You tend to be choosy and bored instantly by someone,whats this compatibility you keep on murmuring about? Easen up and give someone a chance,a weeks chance to evaluate them instead of making discussion rightward after dates.”She spoke with a deep empathetical tone.
Listen to me Annabel,Compatibility is the key word here and in any relationship,I can't succumb to any Dick,Tom and Harry just for the sake of having a relationship status. I need to have someone whom we are compatible in all aspect. The entity of relationship is compatibility. Our conversation to be entwined intellectually,and a natural desire which is unconditional. Both of us should be comfortable in our discomfort when together. This is soul-mate not conditions related to life but soul-mate condition,getting my point doll?”I said wholeheartedly
Take time hun,love will find you,think things over,but know time waits for no man.”she muttered apologetically.

Silence broke between us,but the music which was slow jazz kept us singing in low tones as Annabel drove to our destination for the evening. My mind was rushing on pell-mell from one feverish attitude to another while staring outside the car in motion.

Finally we arrived , given cordial welcome and felt at home. Inside, the house smelled smartly varnished,fresh and beautiful. I could smell the air, and I really loved rock 'n' roll which was playing as we entered. The inside lighting had a strong effect. The led lights were coruscating and glimmering. The atmosphere was warm and festive. There is a buffet, alcohol and the crowd was dressed to kill. My eyes glossed over the mass of partygoers standing around.

Annabel was to assist in welcoming guests,so I wandered lonely as a cloud finding my way to the balcony to catch some fresh air. When all at once I saw a crowd of young guys in their late twenties and early thirties. Some were smoking cigars and others playing Brain games as Chess and Ludo. I looked again into the group of guys, scrunched up my nose, and walked away towards the other end of the balcony which was unoccupied. I enjoyed the beautiful scenery of sun-setting as I sipped my drink.

It wasn’t just footsteps behind me–the tang of expensive cologne,that made me turn around and glanced at the refined stylish man walking towards me. The world fell away, drained of all color but him, standing in the sun-setting evening.
“Hi am Glen,would you mind me joining you for a chat as the sun sets behind us?”He asked with a polished accent.
“sure”I replied humbly
“Mind having some cigarettes? He asked husky
“Nope,am not into such,thanks though.”I said shyly
Smokers are known to be friendly people world wide as they have the sharing aspect. They are the only group of people who don’t mind asking for a lighter or a cigarette from a stranger and conversation follow suit. I don’t entertain smokers especially desiring them but Glen will be exceptional. He is ravishing and seemly.

At first glare,Glen seemed very shy and ambivalent,his physical appearance was striking .His facial features were smooth, rounded, and very assuming. He had a dark complexion which suited my kind of guy. He was a little taller than average .His hair was short dark and well combed having natural waves. He wore a plain black shirt with a blue jeans and red snickers. How can I describe the scent of his skin? He smells something like cinnamon-- dry and sweet. cinnamon are known to be aphrodisiac for some women,I am falling for this. The gods, is it wrong for me to imagine laying my head on his chest and closing my eyes and breathing in his smell?”Smell is important. It reminds a person of all the things he's been through; it is a sheath of memories and security.

Glen thought about the way we could find an endless well of idle chat for any situation, we talked politics and its effects to common mwananchi. We immensely debated the Machiavellian philosophy and its impacts to our political environment. We discussed man-milieu and how it affects development. He really captivated me with his intels,travels and the so many books he has read of which I personally have read too. He was enthralled by my adventurous life style. We were compatible intellectually,religiously,socially and economically. We understood each others jokes. There is nothing like deep breaths after laughing hard for the right reasons. We were engrossed in our world that we almost forgot the party.

“You look sassy,”He said to me in a modulated voice. I liked the way he said the words with confidence and poised. The few time we were together I realized that he choose his words with fastidious care. A man loves through his eyes,and a woman through her ears.
“Me too,”I affirmed tremulously
He made me smile infectiously with his many description of why he must chase me. Everything Glen said fascinated me giving my heart exquisite pleasure hence refined. Glen sense of humor,savored the moment we shared.

After chatting for an hour or so,with intervals of having drinks and snacks,Glen finally brought up the residential subject.
“Where do you live and work if you dont mind?”He asked gravely
“Nairobi of course,born,raised and might be buried here if I don’t relocated to France ,my dream country.”I answered boldly.
I starred at him to answer the question at hand.
“I live and work in Botswana. Have been working there for four years” He paused,” Do you mind relocating there. Its a nice place and job hunting isn’t that involving as here at home. I want to have you near me.”He said croaky

I looked at him with disbelief. United by smoke divided by distance.

I was not going to compromise and leave my comfort zone for a stranger who had enticed me for few hours for a destination not well known by me and Annabel my best friend. I liked him and he fitted my kind of guy. The polished accent,tasteful intel,gorgeous body,stylish dress-code,dark complexion,rich scent name it all. I lost myself in his world looking at all the qualities he possessed but deep down I knew this was a dead end. We ladies know if a relationship will go on or not at the few moments spent together.

Annabel was happy for me as she saw me engaging with Glen. She would wink her eyes and smile while offering us drinks. At times she would murmur at me “Compatible”I just giggled and awaited for the ride home to give her my reasons as to why not yet. Cold war

By 




5 comments:

  1. Hahaa...Don't loose that chance!!...I looked at him with disbelief. United by smoke divided by distance....Annabel...At times she would murmur at me “Compatible”I just giggled and awaited for the ride home to give her my reasons as to why not yet. Cold war...to be continued???????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Essy,

    Nice story. Just a small advice though; they the adverb is not your friend when you need to make a go at a gripping story. Also, wrap a conversation simply with 'he/she said' - show, don't tell is the rule of the thumb.

    Keep at it

    A fellow enthusiast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story line but you overused vocabulary, work on the grammar part also eg. He said croaky, the house smelled smartly vanished, don't meant to be a nit picker, just work on the grammar and this story is amazing, kudos. Nutshell: Simplicity is key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks,i take you advice with pleasure.Thanks for taking your time to read

    ReplyDelete