Friday, February 28, 2014

Glens side of the story(UNITED BY SMOKE DIVIDED BY DISTANCE(The posh house party at upper Nairobi West)




It was one of those lousy Saturdays without any plans to step out of the house after a hectic week of business deals and a late cocktail party with some associates. Lighting a cigar as I fetched some fresh milk from my kitchen a wry smile formed as I anticipated the me time the whole weekend . I loved my space, lazing on my seat by the balcony. That spot gives me the opportunity to watch the world below me since I am in the top most apartment and the breeze is heaven sent. My cigar was fast getting me into the mood and soon the cold milk woke me up to reality and I had to rush to the shower so I could know what would keep me busy the whole day long.
The bathtub would laze me even further so I decided against it and took a warm shower as the sound system blazed some crank music full blast. A man will always be a boy. It's a habit I have never let go since my teenage years. I laughed out loud when I remembered my mom's stern warnings against playing loud music. "You know that isn't good for your ears", she used to scream the warnings. Singing along I was quickly done and was holding a sugarless coffee mug as I got my laptop to do a game of chess before setting up for a movie. My phone was off and was enjoying my little heavenly set up as I tried my wits against the best online. I won a game n lost three and I decided a Jason Stratham movie would help ease my afternoon as I took my light lunch.


You know what they say about resisting the temptation to look at your phone, you can't beat it. At around 1400hrs I could not help it. A few "what are you up to for the weekend " texts came through once I switched it on. Wait a minute, there was a reminder icon blinking too, "did I miss an important early meeting?" I hoped not. "House Party at Upper West Nairobi this evening" it read. I felt deflated as this was one party I couldn't miss. I had always stood up such invitation and I had given my word that I would at least make a technical appearance. It was quite early so I reluctantly did my movie and a nap in readiness for the party. Strictly an hour of mindless chats and off back to my house. How wrong I would be.
Dressing up in the evening I took it casual. A shirt and jeans and half boots made me at ease and without forgetting my cologne I was out driving slowly to the venue a few minutes late of course. I wasn't a party lover so it wasn't one I was looking forward to. Rick Ross blasting from the stereo was getting me into the mood as I wondered why people had to have parties instead of relaxing at home and doing something relaxing. Looking ahead I knew I had a two more turns to make and I would be there.
Welcoming me at the gate was some beautiful ladies all smiles and handed me a glass of an energy drink. Since the narcotics are harming my lungs, let me have some energy to fight it off. That's my explanation for not doing alcohol. The place was swamped by beautiful ladies, dressed to kill would be an understatement and I had to agree that the ambience was quite something. I found myself starting to enjoy the idle talk but mostly was flirty exchanges and it just got me going. A few men were also around and some idle chat led to some exchange of contacts for business as I always believe in never passing an opportunity to network for growth. I kept glancing at my watch since I was not prepared to stay for long despite the great music and relatively good company on offer. I could tell some ladies were abit disappointed by my attitude as I was only casually friendly since I didn't intend to get mixed up in relationship or the burdens of one night stands. Dating was not something I was looking to have and that partly explained why I always kept away from such forums because the ladies would be quite tempting and as men the flesh is always weak. Smiling I started thinking of the saying that "ladies were the weaker sex." How ironical I said to myself as I made way to the balcony for a cigar before I bid my farewells.
As I fumbled for my lighter making my way to the balcony, I lifted my eyes only to be greeted by lovely eyes checking me out. I was tempted to pass the gaze as one of the many I have had to ignore all night long but there was something extra special about the gaze and beauty. " What would a pretty lady as her be isolated in the balcony?" I asked myself as I contemplated whether she would make some nice conversation just to pass my time as I had my cigar. The smile was enough invitation. I held out my pack of cigars and softly offered her to which she politely declined and astonishingly wearing a bigger smile. "I see you care about your lungs." I said rhetorically. "I prefer hurting my liver instead so I can maintain my soft voice" she replied as she pushed her hair backwards suggestively. Dressed in a short dress and heels and having a smart mouth got me abit excited. The ideas running in my head would not have let me welcomed in any church the following was I to go. I guess few of us will make it to heaven.
There is always a great feeling having an intelligent talk with a pretty lady and having a chemistry that is way too strong to ignore. As we talked about different issues I could not help notice how attractive she was and how hard she was trying to not let it look so obvious. I wished to go for the killer chat with her but my instincts held me back as I remembered I was not ready for any attachments. She had a friend who was one of the hosts and she kept getting me more energy drinks as she served her more wine and always left with a cheeky smile. Esther was her name, sorry the pretty lady had my manners depart me for a while. I kept debating whether to get her contacts for a future date but the odds were stuck against me as I had promised to focus on building my company but this was one deal that probably only comes once in a lifetime.
More than four hours since I showed up at the party, I found myself driving from the party wearing a lazy smile and my crank music having Lil Wayne on the speakers singing on Life....."Life is a b*tch I got my hands up her dress". Nodding my head I sung along loudly without a care in the world and as I wound a corner to my gate, I paused and checked Esther's card on my dashboard. With a soft whistle I shook my head wondering if this was a path I was ready to veer.
 By
Ken Mancunian Kenna

No comments:

Post a Comment