Thursday, February 20, 2014

Dear Future Wifey,by Bogonko Jr Benjamin

I’m so sorry. I’m sorry for ignoring you for over three decades of my life. I’m sorry for not considering your needs before my own. I’m sorry for not thinking of you as I made decisions throughout my life. I’m sorry I continue to pretend you’ll never come along. Although after you meet me, you’ll believe I’m perfect, I am not. This is just the first of many apologies I’ll be giving for the rest of my life. I’ll sometimes forget our anniversaries. I’ll stop opening the car door for you after we get used to each other. I’ll forget to call when I’ll be home late. I’ll forget to say ‘I love you’ when you need it most. I'll sometimes spend more time with my fellow men when you need to cuddle with me. So again, I truly apologize. I’ve been thinking about you so much quite so often. Where will we meet? When will it finally happen? Will I just know, or will it take time for me to warm up to you? Are you wondering these things right now, too? Probably not. Maybe you are even having a bad day today or you have failed to catch some sleep. The Winter Olympics is on, and you’re either watching it too, or you even have no idea if this kind of Olympics is going on or you are maybe sitting at a friend’s house eating pizza, or a chocolate or even busy on your Facebook wall while planning what to do today, eat today, dress today or even do today. It’s okay, though. I promise not to hold that against you. I hope you know how much I already deeply love you. When you’re having a bad day, I hope you know that someone is already praying for you. I thought I had already met you a time or two. But they didn’t have your smile, or the smell of your cologne. I wish I knew you already so every time my heart broke, like it did recently, I would have known that God had something better in mind. But I don’t know you. And it broke. I hope you’re willing to do some major repair work, because I’ll need it. I’ll need you to show me that I can trust you. I’ll need you to help me rediscover who I am. I’ll need you to help me out of my past. I spend a lot of time there. My past, I mean. I pray that when you do come along, I’m not so caught up in it that I miss out on you and everything that you are. I think about ‘what-ifs’ a lot. Don’t let me do that. Tell me, “Whatever happened is already done. You can let go.” I already know you also have your past when we will meet. So, our past will be past the moment we meet. Because I love you, I’ll believe you. I promise that I’ll do the best I can for you. I’ll make your lunches, help you cook dinner, play with our beautiful kids, protect you from any harm, help you do our laundry, and love our family with every fiber in my heart that I have. I can’t wait to prove this to you time and time again. I’ll pray for you and to be with you. I’ll lift you up when your heart is broken. I’ll hold your hand when you reach out to me. And most of all, I’ll love you more and more every day of my life. Until we meet, 
Your Future Hubby,
 Bogonko Jr.

Bogonko Jr Benjamin

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is some weird deja-vu that's very real and true. I wrote a similar letter 7 years ago.

    ReplyDelete