Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fascinating description of Tribeka on a friday night.(must read)Friday Night at Tribeka





Friday Night at Tribeka

It’s freezing outside, I pick my handbag and leave the office to meet my friends for a fun night out at a club in the city center.Tribeka is the place to be this particular night after a long day and tiresome week in the office. I walk lazily to the club engaging my mind in a string of questions; how many of these people on the streets of Nairobi have I met on this street before? How many will club tonight like me? How many will make love tonight?  How many will die tonight? Eish don’t give me that look, my mind is involved in realism here.

A moment later, still in the rhetoric question moods, am at the entrance of Tribeka Lounge. The lady bouncer motions me to open my handbag. I hate this as it is bothersome. It looks as if you as a terrorist suspect just landed from Somalia and ready to be a suicide bomber and your mind is already thinking of the virgins you will meet on your way to heaven.Anyhow,I open my handbag humbly smiling at the bouncer for sanity security purposes.

Tribeka fascinates me as it has three floors, ground floor is basically for the perceived matured guys who don’t like mixing with sweaty bodies and prefer a spaced surrounding. The lighting of the ground floor is a bit bright, with strobe lights and some white warm lighting with beautiful chandeliers. Making my way to the stairs, at the entrance a group of young men are seated on the couches, having mixed drink, you can call it cocktail as I had no time to peep directly because as a lady staring at men is a taboo and you know the feeling that comes when you are passing a group of men. Reticence. As I make my way through them, I feel their eyes on me as I pass. I always feel a little out of place at places like these, but I said I would meet my friends here.

Reaching first floor which is a little bit overcrowded, dancing sweaty bodies press and rub up against me., Dancing bodies tangled together, neon signs aligning the walls, a high ceiling with awesome lights hanging from it, On the other end a long lit up bar, and a balcony with booths to sit and chill. There is intermingled smell of smoke and sweat, the bartender run helter skelter  to ensure everybody is contented with their services.This floor is where insanity of all manner is experienced from the dancing,yea twerking they call it to guys behaving badly in public as they are sloshed.
 
Anyhow, I find my way to the VIP Lounge staircase which is situated at the far end corner not notable by everyone.The vip rooms which is on the second floor, has an alluring scene, there is  a private bar...with loads of corner couches and Small tables of mirror-glass.The floor is velvet carpeted; muted lighting of different colors.Here is where the so call celebs and guys who perceive to be public figures go to relax for their drink. The goodness with the VIP Lounge is that its never overcrowded except during a national holiday as the drinks are extra shillings compared to the floors below.

I love doing the VIP Lounge as am a very important person to me, Yes, I love me and want a less crowded place to relax and have some meditative moments in between the drinking,chatting,gossip and dancing.I don’t do ground floor as I perceive it as a path. How do you expect me to dance on a pathway? Added advantage is the drink I take is constant in all floors. Lucky me.

By now, my eyes are adjusting to the imminent darkness and the bright spots of neon signs on the wall.I saw one of my friend Milka already seated, and I headed in that direction, Gave her a light peck then I sunk gratefully into the depths of down filled cushions. The waiter came and acknowledged my drink,Delmonte(mango flavor) and a bottle of water. It is going to be a fun filled night.Don't scorn me, as you don’t have to be drunk to have fun in the club. I try chatting with Milka but the music can’t allow us to engage in a decent conversation so a few gossips here there and chit chat come in handy. Yes I call it gossip as we gawk at the crowd and if  we notice women dressed funny or a young man with a big belly as if he is due in few months, we exchange glances and laugh sarcastically. Telepathy at work

Sipping my glass of mango juice, I noticed a single guy at the bar, hunched over, to my understanding most people who drink alone do it at home or in a local pub not a club. I proceeded to watch him with small interest behind half closed lids over the rim of my glass. I could see the unhappy lines on his face etched deeply, I whispered to Milka about him. I engaged myself in cognitive speculating why he is in such a state? Is he enjoying himself? Wallowing? Grieving? Has he been dumped today? Is he waiting for a date that probably won’t turn up? Or is he the kind that comes to pick women at the clubs?

I have much to enjoy other than doing a mental interrogation of someone who appears out of place in a feel good Friday.I pushed my drink away, got up, and started dancing. I felt sweaty, but it feels so good. Like I am releasing the days stress. My body moves to the rhythm of the music. My friend says I dance like a gorilla on fire in an ant hill, but I don't care, it makes me happy.

By
Esther Wavinya

8 comments:

  1. am impressed. this thing is so awesome. i will have to repeat it over and over again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oscar,I followed your advice on paragraph and writing the story in meditative state.Was in alpha state and all this came flowing like water.More to come

      Delete
  2. Woooow, good stuff, Essy your are a writer. No jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice piece .....keep it up wavinya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done again, like the flow of the events and the use of vivd descriptions, they capture the readers imagination so well and of course makes your piece interesting to go through. A little dialogue may not harm it at all. But overall, well done Esther!

    ReplyDelete